How much freight was moved by trucks in 2013?
The American Trucking Associations has released a report that shows the commercial trucking industries role in moving freight throughout the country.
The American Trucking Trends 2013 report highlighted the commercial trucking industry’s role as the largest mover of fright in America.
“Good data is important to good policymaking,” said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. “And the data in Trends shows a dynamic, growing industry that is the literal lifeblood of the U.S. economy.”
Other finding in the report from the ATA include:
Trucks moved 9.4 billion tons of freight in 2012, or 68.5% of all domestic shipments. Both figures are up from the previous year.
- In 2012, trucking generated $642.1 billion in gross freight-related revenues, or 80.7% of the nation’s freight bills, also increases from 2011.
- There are 6.9 million people employed in trucking-related industries.
- The majority of trucking companies are small businesses – with 90.5% operating six or fewer trucks. Only 2.8% of fleets operate more than 20 trucks.
- Class 6-8 trucks traveled 137.2 billion miles in 2011 – up 4.7% from the previous year.
- The trucking industry paid $36.5 billion in federal and state highway user fees and taxes in 2011 – a 10.3% increase from 2009.
“As the nation continues to travel the road to recovery following the Great Recession it is becoming increasingly clear that trucking is leading the way,” said ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello. “The data in Trends should provide a road map for policy makers and business leaders as they continue to plot the course of that recovery.”
Ready to take the next step towards a career in the trucking industry? The right training makes all the difference. Fill out the form to the right to find out how NETTTS can fulfill your career goals.
NETTTS has over 50 years of career training experience, and the staff, equipment, and ability to provide hands-on professional tractor trailer and HVAC technician training. If you are looking for new career training or to upgrade your current skills, call your local school today at (800) 333-2888. https://nettts.com